Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cranky Recruiter: Must Have Wine Experience

Ok, back to work after battling the flu. Yes, hopped up on cold medicine, and maybe just a bit cranky because of it. But I've got something to say today, and it is about people who want to get into the wine industry and send me a resume with no applicable experience.

While I'm a big fan of people who want to make the change into the wine industry, I do preach that you need to get some knowledge behind you. How many of these posts tell you how to get experience, education, a network, etc. When you say you are a hard worker who is ready to take a pay cut to get into the winery world, great! But if I then read your resume and there is not one shred of wine information on it, it makes me read the next resume.

Crankiness aside, do look at your resume with an impartial eye. If you were an employer reading this resume, would it look like you were serious about making a move into the wine industry. If your resume came in along with several wine industry job seekers, why would they look at yours and not the others. I say you have two minutes to make your resume noticed--if that. If your resume leaves them wondering, it's going to be put to the bottom of the pile, if kept at all.

So, go get some wine education. Work in tasting rooms, retail shops, cellars, labs and restaurants. Marinate in the wine world, so to speak. Getting involved will get you knowledgeable about how things work, and about who is who in this biz. Which in turn will lead you to a better job.

They say you shouldn't operate heavy machinery when you are taking medications. Does that include a computer? Read this post quickly, it might come down soon when I'm feeling better.

3 comments:

Sean Wilkins said...

I'm always torn about this topic from a professional marketing perspective, and someone that's been around the wine business off and on since I was 21.

The wine industry as a close professional and familial community is both a good thing and, in some cases, a bad thing that can hinder growth and advancement.

From the perspective of a professional marketer, I've seen many cases where a fresh/"outsider" perspective could benefit a winery's marketing strategy. With regard to marketing, and we're not talking sales, there are so many intelligent strategies and tools that the wine industry could leverage from other industries like consumer technology start-ups, real estate, and more.

Leveraging knowledge and experience outside the industry, especially with consumer and relationship marketing practices, can only help wineries diversify their practices. And this is especially important for those wineries with a greater focus on direct to consumer sales models.

Anonymous said...

Amy, I like your post. There are far too many people with experience in the wine industry that are struggling to find work in the existing job market.

Amy said...

Sean,
That is all very true. But I would encourage a fresh thinker to at least put some wine industry correlation on their resume. Yesterday I was scanning through many resumes that had no relevant experience to the wine industry--therefore I put up that rant. I do encourage people to make the move into the wine industry, for many of the reasons you mention, I just want them to know that their resumes should reflect their new field of interest.
Anonymous: I agree there are many qualified folks out there with industry experience, and often those resumes will take priority over someone with no wine experience in this climate.
Thanks for the comments,
Amy