Friday, July 26, 2013

Book Review: Introvert Power

I've decided this week that I'm now officially going to consider myself an extrovert, while still holding onto my introverted thought processes. Having previously discussed thoughts about power postures and how to present yourself in public, I often promote the idea of appearing to be an extrovert. And this week in the WSJ there was an interesting article: How an Introvert Can Be Happier: Act Like and Extrovert.  Well, I want to be happy, so I'll gladly act like an extrovert.

Several months ago I read the book Quiet:  The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking which did a good job of looking at American society and the role personality plays within it. Following on this I read Laurie Helgoe's second edition of  Introvert Power:  Why Your Inner Life is Your Hidden Strength.  Laurie's book discusses the introvert's personality strengths, how to be proud of them and how to use those strengths to your advantage.  

If you are examining how you perceive yourself and how you are perceived, it would be a good book to read.  Laurie uses many personal stories to relate to her topic.  She also has some helpful advice on how to nurture your inner self to find your strengths and how to translate them into social situations.  It could help you use your internal resources in situations where you need to make your strengths known--be it in interviews, networking events or public presentations.  Introvert Power also gives introverts and extroverts the ability to better understand each other.  Power to the Introverts and Extroverts alike!

No comments: