Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Luck and Coincidence

I believe in luck. I also believe in golfing great Ben Hogan's famous quote that "the more I practice, the luckier I am".

Luck comes to those who are ready for it, and possibly to optimists who can see positive results in almost anything. I am guilty on both counts!

Throughout the years I've stumbled upon plenty of lucky situations. From my first job out of college where the company owner had gone to my alma mater and also lived in the same southern town where I briefly lived, to my recent encounter with a talented winemaker, these connections would only have happened if I had been getting the word out about myself and my company.

Put yourself in a position where you can see opportunity (or luck) when it arises. If an old colleague calls up for lunch, go. If a new customer calls to explore your company's wines, invite them in. Take a chance and answer that knock of opportunity. You may be surprised what doors might open.

No comments: